Thursday, September 16, 2010

Going out Naked

Last week my husband and I took a small parenting break. I packed Ransom a little bag, and he had his first sleepover at his Grandma and Papa's house. Daniel and I went to dinner with my family and then went to a Waterdeep concert (our favorite band-- or at least mine) at our church. It was such a nice little evening.

One thing I did notice was how much my identity has changed since becoming a mother. While at the restaurant with my family, we ran into an old family friend that we hadn't seen in several years. I suddenly felt naked. We've all had those dreams when you go to some public event and suddenly realize that you've forgotten a very important article of clothing, and then you wake up with that funny knot in your stomach. That's kinda how I felt. I didn't feel like I was showing a true representation of who I was, because I didn't have my son with me. "I AM A MOTHER" is what I kind of felt like declaring to anyone who would listen. I kinda wish I had one of those cheesy t-shirts that said something like #1 mom or something.

I think all parents need breaks, and should get away and remember that their identity is more than mother or father. I am a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend, and most importantly a child of God. The funny thing is that for some reason those parts of my identity seem to be easier to lose touch with.

No comments:

Post a Comment